Scouting is delivered and run by a team of people. That team is then supported by our President and an executive committee.
- Brendan Booth is County Commissioner and manages the team.
- Melvin Stroud heads up delivery of county-led programme and activities and relevant support to districts. This includes sectional events, county events and competitions, international events and support, Duke of Edinburgh support, Queens Scout support, sectional awards support and programme development.
- Jackie Dawson runs Adult Training for Dorset. This includes the delivery of training in its multiple forms, supporting learners through a network of training advisers and ensuring our volunteers stay up to date in their skills and knowledge.
- Shirley Marden gives support to the districts. This includes additional needs support, scout active support and adult awards co-ordination.
- Hilary Stroud focuses on Growth and Development of Dorset scouting.
- Elizabeth runs our County Office, juggling admin, support and paperwork.
Scouting is primarily delivered to our young people at district level and each district has a District Commissioner who reports to our County Commissioner.
Dorset scouts enjoys and values the support of our President Captain Michael Fulford-Dobson RN and our Vice-Presidents Rear Admiral John Croydon RN, Dr. James Morton, Rob Seward, The Ven. Geoffrey Walton, Richard Whiteside. Between them they bring many professional skills and years of scouting experience.
The executive committee is responsible for compliance and charity governance, financial management and fund raising, property, equipment and insurance, adult appointment and people management, IT support, archives, safety, support, promotion and development of local scouting.
John Godber is our chair, supported by Elizabeth Poppitt as secretary and Jessica Hooper as treasurer. The committee has a number of members that make up the team.
A sub-committee manages the appointment of adults to county positions which is led by Hilary Stroud.
Raising funds for adventures
Whilst some funds come from subscriptions, Dorset scouts is always looking for ways to raise more so it can do more.
It welcomes interest from outside organisations and individuals, whether to support a specific project or to support our work in general. Please contact our office who will put you in touch with our executive for a discussion.